- Razer Phone 2 – With great power comes great responsibility!Posted 3 weeks ago
- Gear Diary Spring 2019Posted 3 weeks ago
- Cuts Clothing – A Cut above the Rest!Posted 3 weeks ago
- N-Range – Boost Your Cell Signal!Posted 3 weeks ago
- Heshi Designer SocksPosted 4 months ago
- FLXCUF – Roll them sleeves right!Posted 4 months ago
- Gantri – Designer 3D Printed LightsPosted 4 months ago
- Gaze Lab Wireless Charging AccessoriesPosted 5 months ago
- Earin m2 earphonesPosted 5 months ago
- Som SleepPosted 5 months ago
- Origaudio Wrapsody Bluetooth EarphonesPosted 5 months ago
- Tmbr SunglassesPosted 7 months ago
- Google Pixel 3 and 3XL – Three times the charm!Posted 7 months ago
- Moshi – Premium Accessories and PeripheralsPosted 7 months ago
- Tap – Wearable Keyboard and MousePosted 7 months ago
- Botta-Design TRES 24 Titan WatchPosted 8 months ago
- Fall Gear Guide 2018Posted 8 months ago
- Arc’teryx Fall 2018Posted 8 months ago
- Ionbox 20m – Negative Ion GeneratorPosted 9 months ago
- Must Have Summer Essentials 2018Posted 10 months ago
Technology & the modern day killer
Luka Rocco Magnotta is the prime suspect in the Montreal killing of Jun Lin. He is alleged to have tied his victim to a bed, stabbed him repeatedly with an ice pick before dismembering, eating and having sex with his body. He then mailed parts to the Liberal and Conservative party offices in Ottawa and just to top it off videotaped the whole thing and posted it on the internet for everyone to watch. Latest news also states that the victims head was just found in the west end of a Montréal park (Angrignon) located near to Magnotta’s apartment on Sunday July 1st.
Luka Magnotta does not fit the dictionary definition of a serial killer because he has only one suspected victim, but he does bear a striking resemblance to one. The nature of the crime does fit the media serial killer’s MO: lust for fame, and enjoyment of dominance and control.
Anyone that’s seen the pictures/video will tell you they are pretty graphic, but that’s probably not the first time you’ve seen a body cut up. If you play video games, watch TV or go on the internet, this video shouldn’t be out of the norm for you. Although the behavior in reality is a serious crime, people are no longer surprised by it anymore. We are a desensitized culture, hooked on shock value to the point where something like this is yesterday’s news.
It should scare you how much the internet actually is enabling people like this to commit their crimes quickly and efficiently. Not to mention giving them a venue to show the world what they’ve done. It all becomes a game in a sense, a sick competition and we all keep fueling the fire. View after view the ego grows, and as most of us know on the internet its all about hits, clicks, comments, and who can top the last guy.
Although we all may have those animalistic violent thoughts at times, it takes a special kind of head case to actually go through with the actions. Some of us are more in tune with our primal side and some of us have conformed to society and let that part of us hide in the deepest part of our minds. The furthest edges of the internet are just the place to let that primal side out to play. Hence the 300,000+ views of ‘1 lunatic 1 ice pick’ in the first 2 weeks, it’s not hard to see where those came from.
The fascination with gore isn’t new, but it seems more and more prevalent in today’s society. There’s very little difference between watching an actual snuff film and a movie like ‘Hostel’. Your eyes perceive it the same way, your mind just knows it’s not real because your told it it isn’t. That’s where this becomes dangerous, we’ve now blurred the lines of reality and fantasy, to a point where we don’t know the reason why we like this kind of stuff. Is it because it gives you that extra little shot of adrenaline, or because you actually like to watch people die in the most gruesome situations? It’s possible that with the rise of internet use, the modern horror flick, and the availability of endless content to satisfy any urge however sick or twisted, a lot of people have come to some sad realizations about themselves.
So if the internet wasn’t around and there were no shows like ‘Dexter’ this wouldn’t have happened right? Wrong, it probably would have. There’s no way around that. People will kill as long as there are people in existence, and some will always be fascinated by it for whatever reason. But the access to it probably wouldn’t be free to a point where a kid at the library could see the pictures of this murder, do a search for ‘1 lunatic 1 ice pick’ on google images if you don’t believe me. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to find, all because of our beloved technology. Technology has created heroes and technology has created monsters. Somewhere along the way we let them roam free and forgot which one was which.