- Blackberry KEYone Black EditionPosted 3 weeks ago
- Nomad Cases for the iPhone 8 and XPosted 3 weeks ago
- Alpine Division – Timberline II backpackPosted 3 weeks ago
- Blockhead by TenonedesignPosted 3 weeks ago
- iKeyp Pro Smart SafePosted 3 weeks ago
- Popuband – Smart UkulelePosted 3 weeks ago
- Grayl Ultralight water purifier bottlePosted 3 weeks ago
- Eero BeaconPosted 3 weeks ago
- Waylens HorizonPosted 3 weeks ago
- The Other Danish Guy UnderwearPosted 3 weeks ago
- Belly Armor’s Radiashield Boxer BriefsPosted 1 month ago
- The Travel HaloPosted 1 month ago
- Search and State S1-J Riding JacketPosted 1 month ago
- SWIMS Barry ChukkaPosted 1 month ago
- Woest Athletics Workout CapriPosted 1 month ago
- Tile Sport Bluetooth TrackerPosted 1 month ago
- Mugsy JeansPosted 1 month ago
- Caddy-CleanPosted 2 months ago
- Punkt MP01 Mobile PhonePosted 2 months ago
- Dirty Bird Energy SoapPosted 2 months ago
Blackphone 2 by Silent Circle
Written by: Darren Zygadlo | Twitter: @darrenzygadlo | Instagram: @onecutreviews
Smartphones have become synonymous with selfies, video messaging and YouTube but many of the big brands fail to recognize the importance of one thing – personal security. Blackphone is not a name you are likely to have heard, it seems nowadays if it isn’t jet black or blowing up, the companies that care about your needs and wants fall into the shadows. Silent circle, a Swiss company, have designed their second-generation Blackphone, a phone that promises advanced security measures, deep permissions management and encrypted voice, text, and video chat built in. It’s a phone with privacy at it’s core and it’s a great alternative for those who care about what information gets collected and shared about them.
At the heart of Blackphone’s modified android operating system called SilentOS is the capability to control permissions settings of all your apps, giving you a level of privacy control that is unheard of from the others in the game. Even your communications are encrypted across Silent Circle’s private cloud VPN, better protecting you from wondering eyes. It gets better, the creators of the Blackphone even take security measures to the operational level with what the company calls “spaces”, essentially portioning the android ecosystem off into personal and work sub-spaces each with its own privacy settings, app permission settings and allocation of system storage and it works very well!
A big selling feature that puts this phone ahead of the pack is that Silent OS has the world’s fastest vulnerability management. Critical vulnerabilities are patched within 72 hours of detection or reporting, and updates come directly from Silent Circle, with no carrier delays or waiting periods.
On the hardware front, Blackphone 2 sports flagship quality build and hardware too. It features a 5.5″ Full-HD Gorilla® Glass display, a Qualcomm® Snapdragon Octa-Core Processor, 3GB RAM & 32GB internal storage with micro-SD expandability. Not to mention, a capable 13-megapixel rear camera and 5 megapixel front all powered by an awesome 3060 mAh Battery with Quick Charge™ 2.0.
Performance wise, the phone fares as well as any other mid-range device. It was generally snappy in our time using it thanks to the octa-core processor and 3gb of ram. One thing that other reviewers have mentioned is the camera. We would rate it as average to slightly above the pack. It is capable of some decent shots in the right environment but at times we found a lot of noise and graininess in the output, something that can hopefully be fixed in a future software update. Going forward, we would also love to see an Android 7.0 update hit this phone in January 2017 and take advantage of even further advancements in the android ecosystem and security.
If you are serious about privacy and want a very capable smartphone as well, then Silent Circle’s Blackphone 2 is one to have on your Christmas list.
Check it out at www.silentcircle.com.